Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Best Mexican Rice

Cooking oil to cover pan
1 cup white rice
1 onion & green pepper
peas (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
dash of pepper
14 oz Chicken broth
1/4 cup & 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
2 tsp chicken bouillon powder

In large pan place oil and rice. Cook on medium heat until rice is golden brown then add chopped onion, peppers and peas to your liking. Combine all other ingredients, bring to a boil then let simmer 20 minutes keep rice covered and stir occasionally. This is my Grandma's recipe and it is to die for, so enjoy!

3 comments:

Rachel B said...

I am so glad that we are going to have a real authentic Mexican recipes from Grama Sophie! To bad tamalies require more that just a recipe...they are a real art form the way your grandmother makes them! I would really love to get some tamalies right now...the real kind...maybe some day if I ever go back to Michigan...is it Christmas or Thanksgiving when she usually makes them? I am very excited about the rice recipe. I have to make rice for the teacher appreciation luncheon next week and have been looking for a recipe that will go good with BBQ chicken...This looks like it will be perfect! I am excited to try it...I will let you know how it turns out.

Rachel B said...

Andi, I made this rice tonight and it was sooooo good! I will be making a huge batch of it Tuesday for my teachers luncheon. I am so grateful that you sent the recipe in! It really is just what I needed.

Shelli said...

This is a Weight Watcher recipe, but it is pretty good. It makes 6 servings, 5pts. each.

CHICKEN TACO PIE

2 C. cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 medium onion chopped, sauteed
1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chile
2 T. Taco seasoning
1 C. Bisquick
1 C. Skim milk
1/2 C. eggbeaters
1 C. lite cheddar cheese

1. Mix chicken, onions, chiles and taco seasoning. Pour into sprayed pie plate.
2. Mix bisquick, milk and eggs. Pour over chicken. Bake @ 400, 30-35 minutes.
3. Top with cheese - bake until melts, 3-4 minutes. Serve with salsa and a salad.