Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cafe Rio Pork


I got this recipe from a friend and still haven't tried it....but am meaning to. Cinco de Mayo sounds like a good time to tackle it.

Cafe Rio Pork

(I used two small pork roasts)
1 ½ cans coca-cola classic (generic varieties or diet is not as good)
1 c. sugar (I used white sugar, but I think brown sugar is what they use)
1 (7 oz.) can Chipotle in ADOBO sauce (since you use the sauce, not the chiles, it is important that you get the chiles in adobo sauce)
1 heaping tsp. dry ground mustard
1 heaping tsp. dry ground cumin
1 tsp. minced garlic
Remove the chiles from the can of adobo sauce. (Leaving the chiles in will make it so potent that you’ll cry just smelling it.)
Add all ingredients (except pork) in a blender. (I put some coke in a bowl with the chiles and sauce and rinsed the can with coke to get all the sauce out.
Blend until well mixed. (You can skip this step, but it’s nice a creamy when you do this.)
Place pork in crock pot and pour sauce over it.
Cook on low for 7-9 hours or until the pork pulls apart with a fork.

I added 2 options for the dressing- you can try either and let me know how it turns out.

Café Rio Dressing
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet – make as per recipe
2 tomatillos (tomatoe-like vegetable with a husk around it)
½ bunch of fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno or a few drops of tobasco for a more mild flavor
Use a food processor or blender to blend all ingredients together. Refrigerate.


CAFE RIO CREAMY TOMATILLO DRESSING
(copycat recipe)

3 large tomatillos
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 envelope buttermilk ranch dressing mix
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh lime juice

Remove husks from tomatillos, wash, quarter and broil until soft--about 7 minutes.

Combine everything in blender until smooth. Chill for at least one hour for flavors to blend.

You can do a Pork salad, tacos or burritos---your choice.

7 comments:

Rachel B said...

Wow Amber...I really hope this is for real!

Rachel B said...

Amber, Clint is dying to try this recipe. I think we will try it tomorrow and have a little cinco de mayo celebration ourselves!

Amber said...

Let me know....I was so tired today to do anything fun. I had good intentions, but it looks like it will be something easy and boring for us for dinner.

My friend said it was really good!

Miranda said...

WOOO HOO...I can have Cafe Rio in my own house?? Right on! Thanks for sharing!!! Rachel let me know how it works for you (hint hint...invite me over)

Kimmby said...

Where can you find the chipotles in the adobo sauce? I looked at Harmon's and didn't see it. I thought up until today that they had a pretty good selection. Also, what is a decent price for tomatillos? I saw $7.99 a pound. YIKES!

Rachel B said...

Chipotles can be found at smiths...and tomatillos are $2 a lb. there too. I made the pork today...CLint said it tastes like Cafe Rio...I'm not so sure, but it is good. A little spicer. I didn't make the dressing...and I wish I could get the recipe for their hot sauce.

Rachel B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.